One of the worst mistakes someone can make is trying to use a free hosting site to host your website. I was in a rush to get my site up a few months ago and decided to just got with a quick and easy setup from Freehosting.com. It has been the worst mistake I have even made when it comes to hosting! I expected things like uptime to not be perfect cause it is a free host but I did not expect them to blatantly blame problems with their server on me and my site. This is how everything went:
- Their entire site went down on August 2nd, 2010.
- At the same time, I started getting loop redirects on my webpage.
- Every few tries the DNS server would resolve and I could get to the site.
- 3 days later freehosting.com’s servers came back online and my site was “suspended”.
- I tried to figure out why this had happened, all they would say was that my site was using too many Perl scripts (I don’t have any Perl scripts, only PHP. Their techs are idiots).
- They said I could get my account unsuspended if I upgraded or canceled my account.
- What kind of bullshit is that?!
- After many heated emails from me, I just canceled my site and went to Blue Host.
What really made me mad was that there were no Terms of Agreement when I signed up so I was never told of these circumstance. The second thing that pissed me off was the fact that they would not give me my files! I keep everything backed up except my databases so I lost all my old blog posts. Now I didn’t have many but its the principle of the matter that bugs me! I own those files and they wanted me to PAY for them or just delete them. Ridiculous! They have no right to do that and my tickets were deleted once I started talking about reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.
Moral of the story: Never ever use freehosting.com for hosting. Ever!