J. Caleb Wherry bio photo

J. Caleb Wherry

Scientist. Engineer. Musician.

Email Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Github Stackoverflow

If you have not read the previous post, you should. It is the first one in this series.

The first leg of my trip went off without a hitch! The flight from Roanoke to Detroit was uneventful. I got an aisle seat and the guy beside me respected the unspoken plane seat agreement so all was good.

Detroit’s airport was probably one of the nicest I had ever been in. They had lots of neat things around and the tunnel between terminals A and B/C was pretty awesome. They also had a really nice fountain in the main terminal.

The layover was 4 hours in Detroit so I had awhile to do… nothing pretty much. Unfortunately, the internet was not free so that blew. I (again) did not bring any movies or shows to watch. I did, however, bring a Differential Equation book so I read over that for a little bit. I just happen to look up at some moment and see that the gate I was at had changed its “next flight” status. So, I went to the screen and saw that my flight was delayed by 5 hours! Fortunately, I ran to a gate across the airport where another flight for Amsterdam was getting ready for take off and they let me on! This caused my bags to get delayed but I was okay with that (at the time) since I could still make my connecting flight in Amsterdam.

They provided a dinner half way through the flight to Amsterdam. It was so so. I was actually impressed by the salad, brownie, and roll but the main course (chicken or pasta, I chose chicken) was terrible! It had a side of green beans and potatoes and I don’t think I have ever eaten something so gross. I was hungry though that it didn’t matter. I was just glad to get food! I managed to watch 3 movies during the flight: Adjustment Bureau, Limitless, and Fast Five. Fast Five was the best of the 3 and I’m glad Delta provided these for free and not pay!

8 hours later I arrived in Amsterdam. I was expecting more from the airport but that doesn’t really mean much. My layover was uneventful and I then flew to Bremen, Germany from there. Only hitch was that I had to file a claim for my bags once I arrived but I received them later that night so it was all good!

I finally arrived 2 hours later at the Hermes Hotel in Oldenburg, Germany! And that pretty much concludes my journey TO Oldenburg.